Today we spent the morning admiring one of Gaudi's amazing buildings- Le Pedrera which is on one of the main roads that crosses the city- Diagonal. The building has gorgeous frescos on the ceilings inside the "lobbies", the building is built around two circular courtyards and the roof is an artpiece in itself- it's like a never ending series of sculptures on top... Needless to say, being a gorgeous day in Barce, Jo and I took our time soaking in the atmosphere, the amazing view and before we knew it, one hour had turned into three and we had to bolt through the streets of Barcelona to meet up with Wayde and our good friend Ester, who had been waiting patiently the whole time!!
Ester... Our wonderful, kind, generous friend who we met and stayed with on our first visit to Barcelona 3 years ago... What can I say about this amazing woman? We did not know her from "a bar of soap" 3 years ago and through a friend of a friend we ended up staying with her and her son Didac... (Yes this is the second time we've kicked poor Didac out of his bedroom... Thanks Didac!!) If it weren't for Ester and her cousins Dani and Marcos (and their fam) and for their hospitality, Barcelona would not mean as much as it does to us at this moment!!
I will go into more detail later but for today I'll just add that Ester is also one of those well-informed Euros I was speaking about previously, who'd put the Aussie "history" curiculum in public schools to shame (we know nothing about local history in comparison to these guys!!)... She gave us a great tour around little hidden away places in Barcelona...
A church called Santa Maria del Mar (see below)...
In the placa opposite the church...
Four O'Clock landed us in front of a church called Santa Maria del Mar (built by local fishermen who quarried and transported the stone all the way from Monsarrat?- a huge rocky mountian range that backs Barcelona- there are more details to this story that I need to confirm with Ester!!?? Not such a good student...!)and then around the corner at another interesting Placa, Placa El Fossar de les Moreres, where I found a mother with her two children playing... It was a nice moment with a good graphic background... Looked better in square format however?!
A couple of pics back at Le Pedrera... hehe
Yes we were slightly excited to be back in Barcelona!

No comments:
Post a Comment