Today was another long day of travelling...
We said our goodbyes to the Amalfi coast, caught the regional train from Sorrento to Napoli and then another train from Napoli to Roma (that´s a whole blog in itself- i.e. "How To Get Ripped Off By The Italian Rail System", needless to say, having tickets for an overbooked train and having to sit on our bags outside the bathrooms for three hours like homeless kids, was certainly not worth the 20 Euros we paid!!)...
Anyway, we made it to Roma and after another crazy episode searching for our car rental place with all our luggage (honestly, who puts a car rental station in the middle of a city park??), we picked up camping supplies from our beloved Trastevere and hit the road!
Our goal: to reach the northern coast of Italia (somewhere like La Spezzia or Portofino) and to head to the French Riviera the next day...
A little over zealous perhaps!! By about 11pm, we landed up in a little town called Lucca (where Jo and I stayed last time we were in Italia... Very quaint little village, surrounded by the complete medieval walls, still in tact) and decided after a late dinner and exploration of the town, that we´d stay here for the night...
The local campsite was already closed and we had to visit the "Ospedale" once again (this story also belongs in yet another blog called "Late Night Encounters With Foreign Hospitals While Travelling Abroad")... So the most logical, yet not so glamorous, sleeping set-up ended up being in the car, in the hospital carpark!
Cutting back to Four O´Clock, I was constrained by my surroundings (but that´s what Four O´Clock is all about anyway) and took shots from the passenger seat of our rental car, while on the Autostrada, somewhere between Roma e Firenze. It was harder than I thought it would be, using the Mamiya in such a confined space... I have obviously taken it for granted that I usually hold the camera quite low when shooting with it- I had to shoot with the camera upside down, looking up at the focusing frame, in order to get anything other than the dashboard...
I was looking for interesting shapes, shadows, movement... I included the railings, road signs, the clouds and the overpasses... I honestly don´t know what I captured on film... We were whizzing along at a nice steady pace of approx. 120kms/hr!
I snuck in a self portrait as well... Obviously, the camera in the inluded photo is not the Mamiya... You just have to imagine the real thing!

No comments:
Post a Comment