This picture was taken at Pompei Scavi with Mount Vesuvius (the culprit!) in the background...
Toady was one of the hottest days on record (possibly because we were out under the sun without hardly any shade, checking out the ancient ruins of Pompei... Pretty impressive... Thank goodness there were water fountains though!
I think because of my time working in Cyprus on the Paphos Theatre Archeaological Excavations (see link if interested: http://www.paphostheatre.com/), I have a respect (although a limited knowledge) of the atcheaological process and I was so suprised how "in tact" all the ruins were... I guess that´s the point with Pompei... Buried under ash in an instant!
To think that an entire city was hidden for centuries under the ground (not that far under either!), it would have been so exciting to be part of the excavation team!
Four O´Clock: After a good look around the Pompei ruins, we lodged ourselves in the shade outside the city walls for a late lunch... The usual- tomato, ham and cheese on fresh bread... This has pretty much been our staple diet for the entire trip so far! It's funny how the simple things can be the things most appreciated!
And to follow up... Mini expresso shots to go!
Earlier today at the "Pompei Scavi" site...
Local bakery!
Still water runs deep... Wayde in a pensive moment!
Later in the day in Napoli...
We spent the rest of the afternoon/ evening roaming the streets of Napoli... Discovering the original joint where the Margarita pizza started out (mamamia!), checking out the architecture and generally soaking up the vibe with a bottle of Nastro Azzuro at hand! I think this city will be on the ´"return to" list... It´s not pretty but it´s got atmosphere!
Had to get a shot of this guy... He was our waiter... Very cool!

Pocket Espresso to Go...
ReplyDeleteThat has to be one of the funniest things I've seen!