When in Sicilia, you must spend time at the beach... Suprisingly, once again I find myself at the beach, however this time at a new destination!
We left Massa Santa Lucia and headed south towards Taormina (a gorgeous town about an hour by train south of Messina). We are staying just south of Taormina (which is actually up in the hills, overlooking the most beautiful view I think I have ever seen!) at Giardini Naxos... Apparently, those sneaky Greeks (Papa Galos!) got in there early and made their mark!
Where I sat on the pebbly beach I see red and white striped umbrellas against the blue sky. I see an exhausted vendor sitting on a fishing boat, after a day of trying to sell sunglasses, towels, hats and the like to dissinterested beach-goers. The couple in front of me, seem to be a typical example of the way Europeans go about their beach experience... This couple (who happen to be middle aged), are not at all bashful about getting aroung in next to nothing and absolutely scorching themselves under the afternoon sky. Leathery skin, gaudy swim suits, relaxed poses on beach chairs- the wife is sizzling in the sunlight, while her husband's face is concealed under the shadow of the umbrella while he smokes away, as if at a bar, blowing his fumes in our direction... Hmmm, nice touch...
Although I love the place, I have come to appreciate the SPACE we have in Australia, as well as the respect Australians in general seem to have for our beautiful environment and well-being... In our little area I spotted well over 20 cigarette butts in the pebbles... Kinda spoils the "atmosphere" so to speak!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment