The last time I was in Paris was 10 years ago, it was my first big trip, I was travelling with a good friend (Bek!!) and met up with my older sister and some of her friends in Paris...
Everything was fresh and exciting; we were travelling during the European winter so the atmosphere was different- it was darker and cooler (obviously), however, my memories of that trip are still so vivid, I think I almost assumed that Paris would be exactly the same!
As I walked along side the Seine, passing all the little stalls where they sell pictures, trinkets and postcards, etc. it dawned on me how much time has passed since my last visit... Today was one of those days; I felt I was revisiting my past, but from a whole new perspective...
The air was warmer, it was a beautiful sunny day and although I felt a small sense of recognition as I stumbled across familiar places from my last visit (i.e. the street where we were staying in the latin quarter and our favourite book store- Shakespeare & Co, etc.) I also felt as though I was experiencing this amazing city in a completely new light, both literally and figuratively!
This time round, it was less about going to every museum and landmark in sight for me and more about soaking in the atmosphere, taking the time to observe the subtle or significant differences or to pick up on things that I perhaps would not have noticed or appreciated so much when I was younger...
I was in this mind set when I noticed my sister Jo standing near the entrance of the metro "Saint Michel/ Notre Dame" waiting for our friends Sahs... She was also having a moment, although this was her first visit to Paris, and I could see she was engrossed in the details as she stood there observing the street and her surrounds.
I couldn't help stopping and trying to capture her expression... She was obviously in deep thought, one of the only times you'll catch her looking serious!!
I also loved the little splashes of red in her outfit against the greys of her jacket, jeans and scarf... I shot her in sections (poor girl)!! Face and hands; hands and handbag; jeans and shoes... The shot above DOES NOT do this moment any justice, as I had to ask to borrow her camera to recreate the shot- that NEVER works!! Never-the-less I had to add this in, Jo deserves a decent mention, especially on today's Four O'Clock!
A little further along, I met up with good friend Anna (aka Greco!) sitting outside our much loved Shakespeare & Co. bookstore... Anna was also just taking it all in, maybe even contemplating what life would be like for her and Q if they can work out a way of moving to this amazing city!!
Anna quickly became my victim as I could not pass up this photo opportunity (I have patient friends!!) and she allowed me to snap away and capture a few pictures of her in front of the bookstore.
I don't know what it is about these gals that I love so much, possibly there ability to be so very "in the moment" in a truely genuine way, but it makes this Paris rendevouz all the more special, being with such wonderful friends...

No comments:
Post a Comment