Sunday, July 19, 2009

Passport Saga...


Just a quick observation before I start. Here is a photo of my "old" (as of last Thursday) passport (one of my most valued possessions), with my new passport photo next to it.

It's interesting to see "10 years" in such a sterile, confined context. You can see some changes- the squint lines(from taking photos I think??!!), slightly different shape of face, etc... At the same time however, it's suprising to see how many things actually remain consistent, or at least, are revisited... i.e. hair colour??!! (- he he- I know, it's such a girl thing to notice!!)

I'd like to think that the past 10 years has enabled me to grow into a more mature, self- assured version of myself (like a good bottle of wine or whisky!!), with more direction and awareness of my own goals and aspirations... Hmmm, somehow I don't think you're going to pick all that up from a not-so-flattering passport photo!!

OK, time to vent the spleen...

Let's go back to the 18th October 1999. I had just received my 10 year passport (in preparation for a Euro/ USA trip) and you can imagine the excitement! It never occurred to me back then that although on my passport it indicated that it would expire on the 18th October 2009, that this was in fact NOT THE WHOLE TRUTH...

Maybe I am just one of a minority group that assumes that when your passport has an expiry date, it is.. what it is... Should it not make sense that if you are travelling in the year that the passport expires, you can travel on that passport as long as you return home before the expiry date?? I.E. As long as I am back by 17th October 2009, everything is fine?!

Bow Bow!! The passport info line is not 100% consistent on this issue, perhaps in an effort to keep the heat off them... They may send innocent, well meaning, information- seeking, soon-to-be travellers in all directions (call the embassy, call this number, call that number) in order to establish what the exact ruling is. In the end however, it seems to come down to this little fact... You need to have at least 3-6 months validity left on your passport after your return date to ensure that there are no "complications" in your travels...

Complications? Yes, your imagination runs wild with possible scenarios (perhaps based on references to movies like Broken Down Palace, or stories like that of Schapelle Corby) where you end up in a foreign prison with little or no chance for justice and for returning home... However, maybe all they are inferring by all of this, is that you may be asked a couple of extra questions at customs as you go through? Who knows... It certainly wasn't made any clearer by enquiring.

Anyway, none of this really bothers me... What gets to me is that there is no mention of this on the passport. Why can't they just call it a 9 year, 6 month passport and give you the 6 month window to renew?? That way there wouldn't be the rigmarole that I have just been through...

OK, I'll admit it... I was a little slow in checking this out however when I finally succumbed to the fact that I had to renew, I filled in my forms and went in to register my application... The website says that the passport office is committed to providing this service within the stipulated 10 business day period... I had 13 up my sleeve! I get to the counter and the guy asks whether I wanted to pay extra for the faster service.

Hmmm... Let's think for a second. I'm already paying $208 for a renewal of a passport that is still valid till after I get home, do I want to pay another $80?? No thank you!!

Well, this lovely man proceeds to tell me that although the web site says 10 days, I should really count on 15 days, in which case, my passport may not be ready in time... I ask if there is a possibility of dropping in my application personally to speed up the process. He states that drop off/ pick up is only possible if you have paid for the faster service... In fact, if you go for the faster service, you not only have to pay $80 extra but they get you to come and pick up your passport anyway??!! Surely they could post it out for the $80 extra?!

So, that was my dilemma... To pay or not to pay!! If I don't, I may not get my passport in time- not good!! If I do, the "ripped off" factor has just gone up by another 50%!! Unfortunately, I am not that carefree... I paid for the renewal, the "priority" service and the MUG SHOT... A mere $300 later and guess what?

The very next day I receive an email... Your passport has been processed and is ready to be picked up...

It may as well have said: "Congratulations, you're this week's BIGGEST LOSER! Not only did you fold against our bluff and pay out an extra $90 on top of our $208 passport renewal scam but the so-called 10 year passport you just paid for is actually only worth 9.5 years AND we're gonna stretch you that little bit more by making you come to us to pick it up!!"

I am now the proud owner of a 9.5 year passport...

Check out my photo- I think it expresses just about how angry I was at the time!! Unfortunately, I didn't have the heart to express everything I was thinking at that moment to the guy I was dealing with... I'm a true believer of the "don't shoot the messenger" theory... I think he got the vibe though!

No comments:

Post a Comment